Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coming up Roses!!


"Coming up Roses"
Oil on Linen Panel
12 x 12

The vase in this composition was actually clear glass. However, as I was painting it a  Murano-like  effect kept coming through. Rather than paint what was actually there, I decided to experiment, go with the flow and see where artistic license took me.  Happily, following my mind's eye helped the piece as I think the hazy blue/green glaze on the vessel actually compliments the rich solid color of the roses and adds a sense of mystery.  Sometimes... everything does come up roses!

Sorry about the photo. Will attempt to take a better one and post  this week. 

5 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

It did come up a beautiful painting!

James Parker said...

I agree...the irridescent sheen of a glazed vase is so much more interesting than clear glass. In this case, your creativity has enabled an already fine artwork to advance up the ladder to "exceptional". Marvelous! Drop by sometime and click on "Enjoy the Ride" for a real spirit lift.

Louise B. Hafesh said...

James,
Thanks so much for your kind comment. I followed your advice and "Enjoyed the Ride." What a moving and inspirational video! Kudos for putting it on your blog! Sometime back, I actually (unknowingly) reprinted a portion of the text on my blog. A friend had sent me the poem, and attempting to tailor it for New Year resolutions, I changed around certain points to relate to us painters. Thanks for giving me another piece to the puzzle-- the original. Check out "20 Tips for a Better (Painting) LIfe." Would love to have you add a favorite painting tip for inclusion this New Year.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Louise, I came back to your blog (interested to read about the steel workers) but my immediate reaction on seeing this painting again is: 'that's beautiful'. Wish there were a few more different words as it sounds inadequate through overuse. I like the richness of this painting, the density, you can smell the roses and feel their velvety weight.

Louise B. Hafesh said...

Sheila,
Many thanks for revisiting and for such an insightful comment!